James’ lion head restoration

This is another job that I did to help out a friend of mine.

He had a really old “Vietnamese styled”, metal horned lion head which he recovered from his Sifu. It was in otherwise pretty good condition with the frame intact and any holes already patched up with newspaper. But it looked as though someone was a bit too keen on the shiny aluminium foil look and decided to cover half the head in the stuff as well as give it a “Vincent” paint job themselves. (I’d like to leave all painting to Zoe now as she makes mine look like a kid’s kicked over a tub of rainbow). Also there was a lot of brown muck, probably glue that the manufacturer used to stick on the fur to the head.

So Zoe and I went about repainting the lion particularly the eyes, cheeks, nose, top and bottom mouth. We weren’t allowed to pull off too much of the aluminium foil from the head but we ridded it from the mouth.
We also didn’t put on any fur in the end because the owner wanted to do that himself.

IMG_3756

Front view before

IMG_7944

Front view after

IMG_3758

Side view left before

IMG_7935

Side view left after

IMG_3733

Right eye before

IMG_7929

Right eye after

IMG_3736

Right cheek before

IMG_7930

Right cheek after

IMG_7918

Top lip before

IMG_7933

Top lip after

IMG_3753

Bottom of mouth before

IMG_3754

Close up of the aluminium foil plaguing him

IMG_7928

Bottom of the mouth after

IMG_3752

Top of mouth before

IMG_7922

Top of mouth after
Aluminium foil gone!

The completed lion in action

The completed lion in action

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s