It is a really good feeling when you complete something you start. Today is one of those days. I’ve finally completed the main body of this lion frame. It’s almost poetic that the “crowning moment” is crowning the lion head with its horn.
To be fair, I haven’t finished the lion 100%. I still have all the wiring that I need to do including the ears and eyelids. But that’s child’s play in effort when it comes to the the whole frame making process so I’m quite pleased with getting to this stage.
I think out of all the lion heads I’ve made, this is one of the best ones. The biggest difference with this head is that I was particularly picky with choosing the right bamboo strip for the right location. This has resulted in a lot of natural curves. Each bamboo strip has multiple nodes (the nobbly bits between the smooth bits) and these areas of the strip don’t bend as smoothly. If you have a node over where the frame requires a smooth arc, such as over the forehead of the lion, you’ll get a weird shape. This is what happened to me during my last lion head project and I ended up needing fire to make the bends happen resulting in a lot of unnatural bends. I got away with it during my second and third project by incorporating a lot more rattan strips. These don’t have the problem of nodes.
Here’s a couple of images.